Saturday, July 3, 2010

T - 11 hours

The other day I got lost while driving through Jerusalem. I'd volunteered to drop some people off across town, and between all of us, we managed to get where we intended. However, after I left them and headed off by myself, I soon found myself terribly lost. But interestingly enough, it was the good kind of lost, if there is such a thing. Although it was dark and I was on unfamiliar roads and didn't have anyone to navigate for me, I had a general sense of the direction I needed to go and eventually ended up back on a familiar street. It's nice to know that even though I haven't spent much time here, the city is becoming rather familiar. I'm also a lot more comfortable driving than I was two years ago (a good thing, since I'm one of only 2 people who can currently drive the stick-shift van!)

The past 2 weeks have been filled with training, tours, and preparation work. I've gone on a political tour of Jerusalem, toured the Old City, went to a music festival, shopped at an outdoor market, visited Yad Vashem, walked to East Jerusalem to eat dinner, and witnessed a wedding celebration in the street, complete with fireworks. Each of these things really deserve their own blog post. We also had teaching workshops, sessions on teaching in this region, and each team has been working hard to get things prepared. And tomorrow is the day it all comes together. Rather than celebrating with fireworks, we'll be celebrating the start of the 7th MEET summer program. Wish us luck!

(And for those of you back home, enjoy some fireworks for me!)

2 comments:

Skip (aka Dad) said...

Check out Bruce Smith's video of the finale of last night's "Red, White, and Boom" in Columbus (if you have fast enough internet to bring in the 3+ minutes of video). Cool. I hope the start of MEET goes really well tomorrow. -- Skip Jackson (aka Dad)

Teknik Informatika said...

What was the most memorable activity you found during your trip?